Deryn A. Sumner
Managing Partner | Co-Chair, Federal Sector EEO Practice Group
Ms. Deryn A. Sumner is the Managing Partner at Gilbert Employment Law, as well as Co-Chair of the firm’s Federal Sector EEOC Practice Group. She focuses her practice on representing federal employees and agencies before the EEOC and has worked on hundreds of cases involving claims of employment discrimination on the basis of disability, race, age, religion, retaliation and other bases. Ms. Sumner also has experience representing employees and agencies in cases of whistleblower retaliation and adverse action challenges before the MSPB.
Ms. Sumner graduated from American University’s Washington College of Law in Washington, D.C. While in law school, she served as a Note and Comment Editor on the Administrative Law Review, as well as co-chair of the Labor and Employment Law Society. Ms. Sumner also holds a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, California.
Ms. Sumner is the co-author of several books on federal sector employment law including Representing Agencies and Complainants Before the EEOC; Federal Sector Disability Discrimination Law Deskbook; EEO Counselors’ and Investigators’ Manual; and an annual Consolidated Federal Sector EEO Update. Ms. Sumner is also an instructor with Federal HR & EEO Law Training, by cyberFEDS and Gilbert Training Group. She previously worked as an instructor with the Federal Employment Law Training Group (FELTG) and provided training during the EEOC Law Week and Workplace Investigations Week seminars as well as onsite and webinar training sessions.
- J.D., American University Washington College of Law
- B.A., University of Southern California
- Compensatory Damages and Other Remedies in Federal Sector Employment Discrimination Cases , Gary M. Gilbert and Deryn A. Sumner
- Federal Sector Disability Discrimination Law Deskbook, Gary M. Gilbert and Deryn A. Sumner
- Consolidated Federal Sector EEO Update 2004-2020, Gary M. Gilbert and Deryn A. Sumner
- Representing Agencies and Complainants Before The EEOC, Ernest C. Hadley and Deryn A. Sumner
- EEO Counselors’ and Investigators’ Manual, Ernest C. Hadley and Deryn A. Sumner
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
Areas of Practice
- Federal Sector Employment Discrimination
Schedule an Initial Consultation
Use the link below or call us at (301) 608 – 0880